Friday, March 28, 2008

You got a little soul...Sista'!

I have to say...sometimes I wonder about my heritage. Specially, I'm talking music tastes. I think it all started very innocently with a little Aretha Franklin and Gloria Gaynor belting out their tunes of female solidarity, what the suffrage movement would have sounded like had it taken place in the 60s and 70s.
My music likes and dislikes have changed over the years, as any one's does when they are growing up. Thankfully I grew out of that awkward country phrase with adolescence and moved on up into adulthood with a new found love of all that is great: Jazz, Soul, Motown, R&B and (the one that gets me smiling no matter what) 70s Funk. I'm talking anything from Etta James to James Brown. Please notice with me here the commonality between all of these artists and singers. That's right, they are of the darker persuasion. I will never deny that I do love me some brown skin, so maybe it's only natural that I would be delighted by the music, which is as vast and varying as the people who sing it. All I can say is that nothing is as soul-satisfying. Solid!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know how to braid hair....just let me know when you're ready for some colorful beads in your head!

Cindy Lynn said...

While I might hum "Give up the Funk" by Parliament with pure joy, it might be considered culturally insensitive for me to get some braids or beads ;)