Monday, March 17, 2008

Good Reads

In keeping with the theme of giving my friend Karin accolades on my blog, let me add another one to the mix. She invited me to join this forum/discussion board called Good Reads. It's addicting! Many of my closest friends know I would practically risk mortifying embarrassment to find out what book someone (typically a good looking fella) is reading. This happens if I'm drinking coffee at Starbucks or even on vacation lounging by a pool. It overwhelms me and becomes an obsession. I MUST know what they are reading! This is mostly because I believe what people read defines them in a way that nothing else does. It means this person has taken precious time out of their life to read through a book on a topic that intrigues their mind. Sometimes that very topic goes against everything else their life represents, which is what makes it so intriguing.
Good Reads, actually http://www.goodreads.com/, allows me to view people's profiles and see all the books they have read and are currently reading. Forget my actually trying to improve myself by reading, that's just boring. I've been spending all of my time finding out what other people are reading and trying to connect their reading lists into a definitive correlation with who they are as a person. AND, as many infomercials say, I can do this in the safety and privacy of my own home. No more sly, sneaky movements around a room trying to catch a glimpse of a title, I can now search and book stalk all I want.....without them knowing I'm doing it!

3 comments:

Danielle said...

Windy! You lurker, you!!! I've never personally felt compelled to try and figure out what anyone is reading so that I might diagnose their life in some way, but it is an intriguing concept ;) It might be easier to just listen to their music choice in the future to get an idea of how someone perceives themselves or attempts to personify themselves ;)

ME said...

Huh, so that's why we have so many books. Interesante! It's all coming clear now :).

Unknown said...

Let me be the first to say that this new theme.....you are on to something.