Wednesday, May 14, 2008

When tea dreams...

The famous quote from Starbucks says, "When coffee dreams, it dreams of chocolate". The phrase invokes visions of my sipping delicious Italian espresso while enjoying a simple piece of rich, dark chocolate. Since this slightly depressing switch of mine to no longer drink coffee, it has me wondering what tea dreams of. I believe the answer is simple, crumpets. I use to like tea and crumpets when my dad would make them for us kids and we would sit all bundled up on the front porch and look out over plot of dirt across the street and watch the sun set. I have since decided that I no longer like crumpets. I think they tend to have fruit in them, perhaps some flaky biscuit that has zero to no sugar in it or a lemon wafer. Such crumpets compliment the delicate, light taste that tea embodies. The problem with this picture is that I am not delicate. I hate to think that it all hearkens back to the days of American settlers, but let me remind people that we are the decedents of British rebels. True Americans embody the bold voice of settlers forging out on their own to claim for themselves the first American dream, freedom. Coffee was the drink that, at first, left a bitter taste in their mouth as they were use to their delicate tea. Soon, however, they toughened. Much like a wonderfully brewed cup of coffee, the American spirit grew strong and hearty. It is that dream that I wish to enjoy. The only that is most complimented with coffee and chocolate.

2 comments:

Ann Parri said...

Though I agree that coffee is the far superior brew..
Tea does go well with chocolate biscuits.

RhetorMan said...

Crumpets=any biscuit, bread, donut, cracker/peanut butter, cinnamon roll, etc. that was available for "Tea and Crumpets" on the front porch. As I recall, it was normally in the morning, when blankets were needed to stay warm, similar to the "let's talk about the mountains" theme that began when "everyone" was so much younger. Other memories include: Tomahawk (small boy with bow and arrows), water fights (inside and outside), "I Like Donuts...," forts made from chairs and blankets, and Strawberry Shortcake. Getting Greener Every Day.