Sunday, May 4, 2008

Adulthood, when did it happen?

I realized yesterday that I am very much an adult. Here are the latest issues that prove this point.
1. I've started watching my gas gauge every time I drive somewhere just to see how far it decreases. I also hurl insults at all the gas stations along the way.
2. I had a moment of frustration while standing in the meat section of my local grocery store. I felt incredibly "adult" as I stood looking at the $9.56 price tag on 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts. I began muttering how absurd that price is along with the random vague comment of "You've gotta be kidding me" to no one in particular.
3. Instead of seeking to find a perfect job because the world is my oyster, I am thankful for the job I have with the current state of the economy.
4. I turn on CNN and Fox News in the morning when I'm getting ready. 
5. I actually flipped through those mega pamphlets my retirement funds send me as a voting member, wondering if I might find some insight into how to get back my $1200 that I lost this last quarter. 
Let me be honest here, I'm not a fan of being an adult. I seek to fight it as much as possible, but for some reason the cosmos seems to have a stronger pull. Truthfully, I would rather be brushing the hair of My Little Pony while dreaming of how great it will be when I'm older.

6 comments:

RhetorMan said...

Ditto on the gas, chicken, job, and CNN/CNBC news stuff. Been there, continue to do it. One encouragement on the "bad" quarter: Consider that the lower the share price is the more shares one purchases each month. It's called "dollar cost averaging" by those in the industry. It's called "Holy Crap where did all my money go" by those of us that have to work for a living.

Finally, I resist the welcome to "adulthood" moment you present. In my mind, you've been doing it for many years, whether the kitties know it or not. In fact, you make "adult" look good. Oh, and by the way, I still remember the first time that a "good" loaf of bread reached $1 and I swore that a wheat farm was in my future. It's always funny how the wheat guy got together with the yeast guy and did old George Banks in. Here's to the good old days!

The Bock 10 (Yes, ten) said...

Well, when I was reading this I muttered, "check" while coming across what we have in common.

Unknown said...

Tuppence, patiently, cautiously trustingly invested

In the, to be specific,

In the Dawes, Tomes

Mousely, Grubbs

Fidelity Fiduciary Bank!

Judith said...

Go FOX and Friends love me some Brian Kilmeade! I too want to go back to the days of playing hide and seek with my sis:) Adulthood is not fun!

Cindy Lynn said...

If you invest your tuppence
Wisely in the bank
Safe and sound
Soon that tuppence,
Safely invested in the bank,
Will compound

Danielle said...

Ya - so when exactly did this transition happen? I'm there too?!? I actually (and only as of the last 3 -4 months) watch for the cheapest gas too. And as far as the chicken, here's some options I've come up with: A.) Shop Sunday night when prices are marked down (at least at Publix), or B.) Switch to super firm cubed tofu (depending on what your having, it really works well in a number of dishes). Yes, I'd also rather be dreaming of the next furniture addition to my dollhouse ;)