Thursday, June 12, 2008

Splittin' Gumballs


Backstory: Growing up, Mom always would divide things like this, one person would divide and the other person got to choose which half they wanted. It was the only way to ensure continual equality and happiness.

Scene: After lunch at the Mexican place near where I work, Mom and I walking to the door.

Me: Ohhhhhhh
Mom: Yea, you want a gumball?
Me: Heck yea, I'm hoping for a purple one. You got a quarter?
Mom: Let me see. You know we need two quarters.
Me: If you only have one quarter, I'll let you have it.
Mom: Oh no! I don't have any quaters! Let's ask Dad.
pause...
Mom: Hey, Bill, you got a couple quarters, or even just one.
(looking back at me) You know, if he only has one, I'll share it with you.
Me: You can't split a gumball!
Mom: Yea, I'll just bite off my half.
Me: (Pausing to contemplate it) Yea, well if you divide it, I get to choose which half I want.
(Laughter)

4 comments:

grandmmaper said...

That was worth a laugh!! I think I would want to be the one who split the half instead of the one who chose the half. I even chuckled at the thought. It seems things we are taught as youngsters never leave us.

Anonymous said...

Very funny, my Cindy!!!! How did it all turn out??? aunt C

Cindy Lynn said...

Sad story: Neither Mom, nor Dad had quarters. I did not get a gumball :(

Anonymous said...

Heartbreaking, my dear. Save your allowance, and maybe next time!!! aunt c