Monday, June 16, 2008

Banquet frozen dinners? I don't think so


This last weekend, my parents and I went shopping at The Fresh Market. It was while I was slowly strolling up and down each aisle, taking in the excitement of such variety, that I realized this simple truth. I am not meant for Walmart Neighborhood Market. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to sound like a snob! I was raised on the art of bargain shopping from the Piggly Wiggly to Winn Dixie. I know how to cut costs and buy generic. The problem is, I just don't want to. I prefer buying over-priced wasabi rice snacks and fruit/nut trail mixes that come packaged for me in little containers. I like how it feels to purchase fancy fruit juice, specialty potato crisps and whole wheat crackers with flax seed. I delight in the entire shopping experience, from the ingenious carts to the chicken salad made from rotisserie chickens done on the premises. So yea, as everyone else is shopping in bulk at their local wholesale club, trying to purchase a gallon of olive oil for $2.00, I'll be selecting the finest olive oil, hand-pressed in Italy by Grandma Ritoli for $15.99 and loving it!

7 comments:

ME said...

Ahhh, Grandma Ritoli will be proud! Don't forget the chocolate Rugala and the seriously overpriced gourmet jelly bellies available in every conceivable flavor. And the Maytag Bleu Cheese selection rivals the finest avant garde deli anywhere in Paris. I'm livin' the fancy shmancy life right with you.

RhetorMan said...

I'm with you. I too am tired of "discount" food "centers" with worn-out carts and worked-over produce. I am sure perfectly-stacked apples have got to be better tasting and full of life-saving nutrients and fiber. I am also sure that I would rather enjoy 5 ounces of imported gorganzola cheese than a 5-pound yellow block of industrial fat for the same price. I know it sounds somewhat elitist and snobby to wish for something more civil and eclectic. However, for me, coffee has always tasted better on Park Ave than at 7/11. I'm afraid you are afflicted with a genetic disposition, awareness.

The Bock 10 (Yes, ten) said...

There is so much that I could write at this moment that would truly make you laugh, but I will hold back...you can use your imagination (I know that you are laughing already)...glass houses!

Anonymous said...

It must be wonderful to be young and rich and discriminating!!! If you can do it, have at it and enjoy!!! It is definitely nice to pamper ourselves once in awhile! aunt c

Ann Parri said...

Cindy... you would love Europe.. an entire continent built around this very concept. It's quite exciting (and for me unheard of) when you can buy rapeseed oil (a lighter alternative to olive oil) from the guy who grew the flowers, pressed the seeds, and garlic-flavoured the oil all by himself. You really would like it here.

Unknown said...

OFFENDED! I own that gallon of olive oil for $2.00!

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the journal and the linked journals!