Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Great Faith

The Mueller's set off for the United States in August 1877 aboard the Sardian…Off Newfoundland the weather turned cold and the ship's progress was seriously delayed by fog. The captain had been on the bridge for 24 hours when something happened which was to revolutionize his life; George Mueller appeared beside him.

"Captain, I have come to tell you I must be in Quebec by Saturday afternoon."
"It is impossible," said the captain.
"Very well, " said Mueller, "if your ship cannot take me, God will find some other way--I have never broken an engagement for 52 years. Let us go down into the chart-room and pray."
"Mr. Mueller," he said, "do you know how dense this fog is?"
"No, my eye is not on the density of the fog, but on the living God, who controls every circumstance of my life."


Mueller then knelt down and prayed simply. When he had finished the captain was about to pray, but Mueller put his hand on his shoulder, and told him not to.

"First, you do not believe He will' and second, I believe He has, and there is no need whatever for you to pray about it."
"Captain," he continued, I have known my Lord for 52 years, and there has never been a single day that I have failed to get an audience with the King. Get up, captain, and open the door, and you will find the fog is gone."


The captain walked across to the door and opened it. The fog had lifted. It was the captain himself, who later told the story of this incident, and who was subsequently described by a well known evangelist as "one of the most devoted men I ever knew."

It was prayer that swept his soul free of doubt, distemper, and the after-effects of a trial by the incoming tide of peace. For this reason he could make such remarks as this entry on March 9, 1847, "The greater the difficulties, the easier for faith." And a later one, "The greater the trial, the sweeter the victory."

-Excerpt from christianadoption.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love George Mueller. I read his biography when I was just a kid, and it was thrilling--that life of faith. At this moment, your blog and Faith and George Mueller are great reminders!!! Thank you, Cindy.
Are you enjoying the storm? I am; it is very exhilarating!!! C

Unknown said...

We read the same devotional book! I got mine from a very dear friend who I care about a lot :-)