Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Free Citizenship


All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. - Fourteenth Amendment

Today I experienced my very first legitimate frustration with regards to the Constitution of the United States. I firmly believe that we should uphold our Constitution with the strictest of rulings. I feel it should be a closed document, one that should never be altered.... just not today!!

We have many international students living here that are starting families. Naturally, those children automatically become US citizens. This should not be! And on top of that, I was asked to write a letter that would allow two of those students to apply for Medicaid for their child. How dare their children automatically be bestowed with all the rights and privileges of United States citizenship. I felt the injustice of how hard I work to pay for my own medical insurance only to have internationals having children on US soil, and my hard-earned money going to pay for THEIR medical costs as well. I understand poverty, and with my compassionate heart, I feel a need to take care of those within our country, but I refuse to work hard for these people who pop out their babies in the US and suddenly feel they deserve everything.

I have decided that my new stance is that in order for a baby to be granted citizenship, it needs to be born to two US citizens. If this is not the case, then they can file for citizenship like everyone else. We have an appropriate due process for average people to be given the gift of citizenship. It's not impossible. If we don't become a bit more serious about who should and should not be citizens, the very weight of citizenship and what it means will become worthless.

9 comments:

grandmmaper said...

I agree, agree and agree more!!!! Why don't we do something about it? Any suggestions?

Ann Parri said...

Not a chance in the world. I am very glad that my children, born to me, whether in the US or abroad, whether married to a U.S. citizen or not, will be U.S. citizens. They will by right be permitted to be in the U.S. at any time and, consequently, be able to visit their grandparents, great grandparents, and aunt! And, guess what? They should be!

And, as far as writing the letter goes, refuse to do it on principle - if they want it written, they need to write it themselves.

Cindy Lynn said...

Of course I am speaking as a tax-paying citizen and not a potential Aunt. Therefore, I have to ponder why a child born outside the of the United States and to non-US taxpayers would automatically be granted the benefits of this country. My post, however, was focusing mainly on children born in the US to non-citizens. I remain steadfast in my frustration.

Unfortunately, I have to write such letters as that is my job, and my tax-depleted paycheck would come into question ;)

Anonymous said...

OMGosh Cindy! I am outraged by this. Some of us stay in jobs that we are not happy with, work for just above the poverty level just to have medical insurance. Unbelievable! Why didn't I think of that I could be at home eating bon bons with my fuzzy slippers on and living off of you! Unreal!

Anonymous said...

Hey, hey, Hey. Hold the horses lady. I remember a blog just a few days ago about you sister. If one (not both) of the parents is a citizen the child should be a citizen. What you don't want to bestow this privilege to your nephews and nieces? Besides, if MArtin and his keep going my grandkids would be exempt. That is a terrible thing to do to a future president of this country.....

B

Cindy Lynn said...

I stand corrected, B! Perhaps the heat of the frustration clouded my good judgement. I would never want to keep the future president of the united states from power! Are they allowed to be president if they aren't born on US soil though? ;)

Anonymous said...

I thoroughly agree that non-citizen's children should not be citizens. If a person is here leagally, green card or whatever, yes--just hopping over the border to get benenfits and citizenship, or other means---NO, NO, NO, NO!!!!!!!

Danielle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Danielle said...

Let's try this again:

The debate raging on this topic has prompted me to do a little bit more research on my own. The conclusion I've come to is this: has anyone ever considered asking the children what THEY want? Copy and paste the below link to your browser; personally, I feel much more informed after studying this subject more intensively.


http://www.theonion.com/content/vi
deo/study_most_children_strongly