Tuesday, April 29, 2008

When peace doesn't come

I was having coffee last night with a friend of mine, discussing some of life's more difficult issues. Such as, what happens when I have no desire to be obedient to God's Word? What happens when I have no faith to see the purpose of obedience? And what happens when I've barely managed to push myself enough to be obedient and blessing and peace do not immediately follow? Nothing. Sometimes, nothing happens. It is in these moments of uncertainty, when my faith does not seem strong enough to even see the purpose of obedience that the Lord is making me stronger. My friend reminded me that many times in life our theology has to trump our experience. My experience right now feels like darkness surrounds me, but I know that it is in darkness that the light of God's Word is most visible. And when it seems peace will never be given, God reminds me of the promise, "weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning."

5 comments:

Judith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Judith said...

Know that God does honor the right decisions we make although we may not want to make them. Continue to be that light that so many are drawn to:)Besides I need my cheerful Cindy Lynn back!

Unknown said...

Sigh. I remember when I used to be called the "good friend".

:-) j/k!!!

Ann Parri said...

What happens? Ok, so I'm no expert, but what happens is, we realize, once again, just what we are and how that we don't even have the strength or the feeling or the desire to do one thing godly apart from God working in us. "To be disappointed in yourself is to have believed in yourself," if you will. What else can we do but go to God and declare our shortcoming (that's all we've ever had to declare before Him in the first place, so He's not really shocked) and beg his working in our life to change us? Have we strength or goodness to do any more?

Anonymous said...

ps 31:19-24
Oh, how abundant is your goodness, which you have stored up for those who fear you and worked fro thoes who take refuge in you, in the sight of the children of mankind!
In the cover of your presence you hide them from the plots of men" you store them in your shelter from the strife of tongues.
Blessed be the Lord, for He has wonderously shown His steadfast love to me when I was beseiged in a city.
*** I had said in my alarm, "I am cut off from you sight!" But you heard my voice of my pleas for mercy when I cried to you for help. ***
Be strong, let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!