Thursday, April 17, 2008

I love you Ikea, just not right now.

In my attempt to reduce my use of plastic, I visited the Ikea store in a search for some cheap ceramic/glass containers that were microwavable for my lunches. I found a great one, ceramic bottom and glass top which indicated the important feature of microwave and dishwasher safe! I was heating up my deliciously-prepared, homemade food in my trendy, Ikea container when I heard a crack. I immediately stopped the microwave and checked out the horrendous sound. There before me was my Ikea container shattered, much like my love of the store itself. The glass top had broken. I threw the glass top away and inspected my food. After having visions of shards of glass going through my intestinal tract, I threw my homemade goodness away.
I now needed some food. I walked to the Einstein's on campus and purchased a pre-packaged, in a factory in Nebraska no doubt, salad. I get in a very long line only to get to the register and be told, "That will be $6.70." Dejected, I handed him my money to pay for my salad that was very much packaged in plastic.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not to mention the fact that it didn't taste good. You could have eaten the homemade goodness followed by one of those homemade goodness muffins that I'm going to have in a few and know that if something happened to you I would immediately call for reinforcement! Gosh I have a headache!

Cindy Lynn said...

Yes, and just how are you going to call for reinforcements if you're incapacitated by a headache? You don't have a headache and a numbness in your fingertips along with dry mouth do you? You know what webmd says about that! ;)

ME said...

Ok, somewhere along the way I have messed up big time. The very fact that you inspected your food with the idea that you might still eat it, just shows me that somewhere along the way...I messed up! Where did I go wrong???

Anonymous said...

This is for "ME" she didn't eat it because of what you did teach her:) Our mother's voices forever resonate in our brains. Don't worry ME you did a great job:)

Danielle said...

Cin, I commiserate with you over newly purchased items that are far under the standard of quality anyone would expect. . So are you gonna try to return it?? I always like the thought of returning items for the sake of complaining to the customer service rep. about the shoddy product they're selling, but alas, the time to actually return the product seldom makes it to the top of my to-do list.