Friday, September 18, 2009

Really?



I can't help but chuckle as to the great lengths companies are going to these days to assist people in never learning how to cook. This is the latest and greatest development, microwaveable rice. Is it really so hard to put a scoop of rice in the rice cooker, add some water and turn it on? Is it because we are increasingly impatient? I believe this Uncle Ben's package is advertising that it can be "cooked" in 90 seconds. That's definitely quicker than my rice cooker, but seriously, is this as good as it gets?

What's so wrong with learning how to cook a couple dishes? I'm going to be old-school here and speak just to the ladies. I know you're busy managing everything from work to the house, but it really doesn't take that much to learn! Although I have to be honest, if the saying is true that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach then I do believe I'm beating out my competition hands down just by knowing how to boil water ;)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I have long since said that if the way to a man's heart is truly through his stomach (which I fear it is), then my poor mother will never have a grandchild from me.

Also, I have been using this Uncle Ben's rice for months (I prefer long grain and wild). And at buy one get one free, 90 seconds to the table, and no dirty dishes (saving on the energy bill) you can't beat it.

Anonymous said...

We bought some by accident, thinking it was uncooked rice, (being old and practically senile or something!), and I was shocked! It really is amazing! You keep practicing boiling that water, Cindy. It will come in handy one of these days!!! : ) C I made sandwiches on homemade bread as part of the snagging your uncle process. I guess it worked, since he's still here 31 years later!

Cindy Lynn said...

Well it's very true....Uncle Ben's got nothing on Uncle Bryan ;) Maybe I just need to learn how to make really great sandwiches haha

Writer's Block said...

I use packaged rice. its great. try it. Its got all kinda flavors. I do, however, cook it like normal, in boiling water. do I count?

Ann Parri said...

1. I totally agree. Cooking is a great skill to learn. I enjoy cooking from scratch, and find it much more rewarding.

2. The way to a man's heart is DEFINITELY through his stomach.