Monday, September 1, 2008

marriage, men and game

So here we all sat yesterday, enjoying our afternoon. The "we" there is the sweet blessing of three generations of women under one roof supporting my mom as she goes through this crummy week and encouraging her to know that there are bright days ahead. This blessing of female solidarity is NOT what I'm writing about. Instead, I would like to tell a little story about what took place in the afternoon. I sat at my computer, playing around checking email and the like when I noticed that my Grandma was talking with my Grandpa on the phone and my mom was video chatting with my dad. Both my mom and my grandma were talking with their men. Now granted they are both married and have been for a total of something like eight-five years combined. Of course they would be talking with their fellas, but I have to admit....I was a little annoyed. Why is it that marriage seems to be the ultimate reward in life for women. If you're godly enough, keep a good enough house, have just enough spunk mixed with enough holly homemaker tendencies that you'll land yourself a man and enter into the sacred hall of marriagedom with all the other godly, holly homemaker types who have also achieved this ultimate victory. I started filtering through the possibilities of men I know, wondering if any are truly marriage material, wondering if any are interested in me, wondering if I'll be granted this sort of extreme privilege of matrimony someday.

I wish I could say this post will end with sharing about the blessings of the single life and how I'm patiently waiting and wanting the life that God has intended for me, but alas it does not. I do seek the life that God would want for me, and I am trying desperately to wait patiently if God has a fella in mind that He would like for me to love and honor and respect all the days of my life. Until then, however, I simply sit here at my computer writing a post about how my mom and grandma both have more game than I do!

5 comments:

Writer's Block said...

or you have one, and he lives in alaska. :) I was just remarking today on the numerous ways a trial can come- and in our family only we already have the gauntlet. One person struggles with singleness while another stuggles with not knowing when the fiance' will tredge home, while another still (who has entered the holy state of blissfull married life), instead of living in sheer bliss, goes through cancer. I think everyone at all walks of life have more in common than we know. Maybe we haven't been there, or we have, but in a way, we've been there

Anonymous said...

Well, as someone who is single and in her 40's you cannot wait until the mate comes along. There is a lot of life to be lived with or without a spouse. The Lord could plan for some to be married at 20 and other's at 60, you don't know. There is even the unfortunateness of the fact that just because you get married you are not guaranteed a wonderful long life with your mate. Some people have been given 30, 40, 50 or more year's together, while other's may be parted after only a few year's. You are in the midst of living the Lord's plan, it changes as you go but, each phase is good in it's own right.

Danielle said...

I came across this sign on the back of a truck today and thought you might find it useful.
WANTED: GOOD WOMAN:
-MUST BE ABLE TO CLEAN, COOK, SEW,
DIG WORMS AND CLEAN FISH. MUST HAVE BOAT AND MOTOR.
*PLEASE SEND PICTURES OF BOAT AND MOTOR.
No sense in trying to please anyone as everyone's ideal of perfect is different. Do what suits you best ;)

Looking to move! said...

Same thing for women and children, some women can have children seems like in a matter of minutes, other women struggle or cannot have them at all. This is still all of God's plan for our lives.

This is the day that the Lord has made, rejoice and be glad in it.

While in the middle of a situation you never realize how blessed you are. Taken from those on the outside, you have been given a great life and the Lord has a plan for yours. Remember, he also has a sense of humor :)

grandmmaper said...

marriage isn't always the answer for happiness. In some cases it can add a lot more stress and headaces to your life. I heard one pastor say, if you are in Gods will you will be happy wherever and whatever you do, but if you are not in His will you will be miserable regardless of what you are doing or where you are. The main thing is to ask God what His plan for your life is and you will be happy regardless of what you do or where you are. Love you. You are a special and unique person and the Lord has a plan for your life. Seek HIm