Monday, February 25, 2008

Starbucks and "The Man"

I loathe the consumeristic voice of corporate America that has been speaking loudly for the past say 50 years. I believe it is the source of unhappiness and ruination for many. It is because I love the very true essence of the American dream for all Americans, immigrants and those born here, that I would spend my days fighting this corporate voice of America. I dislike the vast ugliness of Walmart and the unhealthy infiltration of McDonalds as a beacon of American culture to the world as a whole. I believe starting your own business should always supersede working for someone else for 30 years and then hoping your retirement package, that you have been banking on, is still valid. I believe safety in career has trumped America's ability to handle failure and success in striking out on their own. And yes, while writing this I hear playing in my mind the song written by Merle Travis called "Sixteen Tons". The lyrics are legendary.

You load sixteen tons, what do you get
Another day older and deeper in debt
Saint Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't go
I owe my soul to the company store

Yet, what keeps me from moving to a plot of land, setting up a commune with other like-minded, hemp-wearing, granola hippies? Starbucks. I love Starbucks. I love the routine monotony that I hear when I walk in the store. I love how I have MY Starbucks that is distinctive and known to me as the inner circle of trust. If I have coffee with you at MY Starbucks, you are by far set apart from everyone else in my life. You are my life. It's not just my love of coffee; it's my love of Starbucks coffee. I love how everytime I order a Grande Caramel Macchiato it will always be made the exact same. It's safe. It's unchanging. It's soul-satisfying. Every morning on my way to work, I drive by Java Joe's. The owner himself is out there holding a sign promoting its drive thru window and luscious coffee drinks. Every morning I drive by it hoping to see hordes of people going there, waiting in line, giving their money to those brave enough to strike out on their own and claim for themselves their own American Dream. This morning I cheered them on while raising my quintessential white Starbucks paper cup with green lettering and 10% post consumer recycled paper sleeve in admiration for their stickin' it to the Man!

7 comments:

sooz said...

Good Morning,

Well, let me give you a totally different experience happening at the same time this morning. While you were basking in the flourescent light's and wafting smell of the coffee house you hold very dear i was saying hello to 2 amish men that were here to do work on our shed. They were converting the side of the shed to look more like a house, putting in double door's and moving the window down, they also included 2 ramps for the mower. Then they came inside and put a handrail going into the basement. While all this merriment was taking place i made hot chocolate for the two, they needed it. Was it starbuck's quality? no way! swiss miss powder. But it was served in a paper cup equipped with a lid and paper sleeve, floating inside were 2 large mallow's.So there was an element of starbuck's however small. It is cold here, in the 20's this morning, spitting rain and snow mix along with 6 inches of snow on the ground. The amish boy probably all of 16 years old had to shovel a path from the drive to the shed, a fair distance i assure you. Even at this point in the day i can still smell the essence of wet hay, horse's and fresh wood. While you may have been able to have the sweet smell of the man in front of you at starbuck's my experience of smell was much different. Everything was different actually, you had the city experience of flourescent light's, piped in music and the smell of fresh ground coffee. I on the other hand had a very northern and country experience. So i would say the family is very balanced, while you have the city and further corporate america, i have the country and further the spirit of having your own business and trying not to be kept down by the man.
i cannot see you living in a commune with hemp-wearing, granola eating hippie's. But if you ever want to get a feel of country living and winter at the same time, come on, we would love to have you. There is plenty of snow to be shoveled, and spring is on it's way, so that includes getting the house back in order after winter. Painting the porche's and shed, sprucing up the flower's and planting a garden. I have a pair of rubber boot's that have a girly flair to them and will get you a pair so you can help with all the planting. Planting season is on the way, be submissive or be adhesive.
All in all, that movie show's to a very large extent what it is like to live here!!!.
Sooz

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, Starbucks! It is the scourge of the man-sticking mantra. What can I say? There are things in life that are staples. Miracle Whip, cheese grits, and Starbucks coffee. Hummmmmm...I can smell it from here. :)! ME

sooz said...

Miracle Whip???
Hellmann's please.

Ann Parri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ann Parri said...

Wait... Is that the same man that smelled amazing when you last went to Starbucks?

mokidoku said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mokidoku said...

Beware - a dark day is upon you coffee fiend:

http://tinyurl.com/2esohz

You've been forewarned! ;)