Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Not your Grandma's hubcaps

Recently I purchased four brand new beautiful tires for my vehicle. I actually love the feeling of new tires, not because I can tell a difference in the driving (although I'm sure I should be able to) but because it makes the car feel like it's ready for anything, a roadtrip at any moment. With new tires, an alignment AND an oil change, I'd say the sky's the limit for where it can go.

Just one thing was missing, hubcaps. Over the last six years of my car ownership, I've lost a couple hubcaps in the process. It didn't bother me too much because I know it's just cosmetic, but when I got the new tires somehow I felt like I should get new hubcaps too. I wanted the car to look complete. This brought me to the auto parts shop where I began browsing for hubcaps.

Auto Parts Worker: May I help you?
Me: Well I was wanting to get some new hubcaps.
APW: Let me show you our display, just let me know which ones you want and I'll get them out of the back for you.
Me: Thanks
(browsing)
Me: Um, Sir? These are some fancy hubcaps. I mean I think those right there are the type that still spin even though the car has stopped moving. Am I right?
APW: Yes, they're quite popular these days.
Me: (chuckling) wow, I just don't think I could do that.
APW: What kind of car do you have?
Me: (interally thinking "are you joking??") Oh it's a Saturn, a sedan.
APW: What about these?
Me: (chuckling again) yea, I'm just not sure you're understanding me. Those are really fancy hubcaps. I'm looking for something more like what your Grandma would have, on her Buick.
APW: (confused) So you want something more conservative?
Me: (what I should have said) Sir, you seem confused. Was it that I used the word Grandma or Buick that threw you off? I want something that's not so flashy, perhaps something that doesn't light up when I brake and doesn't keep spinning even though the car has stopped. When I see hubcaps like that in traffic, it annoys me. I'm not sure you're fully understanding my use of the word "fancy". You see, I'm trying to be polite. I really just want some hubcaps that people aren't going to try and steal should I be in the wrong neighborhood. I just want something to cover the tire.

Me: (what I really said) Yes, something more conservative would be good, thanks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, did you get the hubcaps? How do they look? Don't keep us hanging! Oh, and by the way...why would you be in the wrong neighborhood anyway? Use that new fangled GPS system to navigate your way out of the wrong neighborhood. Just a thought! ME

Anonymous said...

I can see you with the stylin' ones, Cindy dear, but Grandmother is good, too. I agree with ME, how do they look? Have they been stolen yet?? Hope you enjoy them! C