Sunday, August 23, 2009

I'm in love!!



As many of my loved ones might know, I haven't always been a fan of driving or directions. I remember even when growing up if a friend asked me how to get to my house to pick me up, I wouldn't really know how to tell them the way. I think one of my most dreaded questions is, "Could you tell me how to get to _______?". I despise roadways, maps, interstates, and I especially disdain the green signs which are suppose to be telling me the way to my destination.

This use to be my attitude about driving, until I came face to face with gps navigation. It first happened on my trip to TN. This is what I like to call the testing period. I just wanted to see how it would do, can it be trusted and would it assist us in arriving to our destination with ease. I was not disappointed! Not only did it get us there, but it was accurate to the minute as far as how long it would take to get there. And then yesterday with driving to Sea World, it was my chance to really try it out as the driver. Let me just tell you, even navigating I-4 in darkness on the way home was positively a delight with the sweet voice of the gps navigator telling me that in 800 yards I would be exiting the interstate (ok the voice was british so it told me to exit the motorway, cute ;) and then staying in the left lane.

Where has this technology been all my life?! I feel as if I have a new lease on life and a new fondness for driving. So now when I ponder going somewhere or taking a trip, what use to be an overwhelming feeling of concern or uncertainty has been replaced with an exhilarating feeling of joy! When I'm asked to meet someone somewhere or take a little trip, all I have to do is say, "YES! Do you have an address?" And just as soon as I plug in that information into the navigator and adhere it to my windshield, I am on my way. It gives a whole new meaning to the phrase, "The world is my oyster!" :)

6 comments:

ME said...

Whoa...there are just too many questions...did you buy Maggie? Don't you know that it is just 4 short months away from Christmas? Don't you know I memorized the word "Magellan?" You have some 'splanin to do, Lucy! :)

Cindy Lynn said...

hehe I hadn't bought anything yet, but I just did this morning :) It's a must have, and I couldn't possibly wait until Christmas! See, it comes with pre-loaded maps of all the US, Canada and Puerto Rico. I just couldn't let the next four months go by without potential for exploration!!
Although I'm very impressed that you remembered the name Magellan, such a smart mom :)

Danielle said...

HA! OK - Cindy, I think this product was made specifically with you in mind. Whoever came up with this whole GPS technology in the car guiding an individual step by step (reassuring, guiding and correcting) all the way knew you ;) Of course, I will say that I got an unreasonable though necessary amount of reassurance when I got to use her - "Wait, should I turn here???". Maggie: " STAY STRAIGHT ON I-75". Ya - a wonderful investment all round!

Anonymous said...

Does it take a technologically savvy individual to use one of these things??? Does it help a person develop Althiemers, (or however you spell that), because of not using your brain? I'm glad you have one, Cindy, regardless, because not knowing where to go or how to get there is NO fun!!! c

Ann Parri said...

Yes, we got ours about a year ago, and it is still Gwyndaf's favorite toy, (besides the snooker table, of course). He uses it even when he knows the way by heart. haha! It is also useful for language development. Gwyndaf set ours to Italian.. hmm....

grandmmaper said...

What a great gift to yourself. Not only does it get you to where you are going, it also tells you where all of Starbucks, etc are. Well worth the price. It takes up little space and it is talking to you all the time to keep you company. Excellent purchase