Tuesday, March 10, 2009

I totally belong

It's an interesting topic when you start to ponder where you really belong, where you feel most yourself and comfortable. Now I love my Starbucks lattes, my Apple products and Target shopping, but where I really feel most at ease and free to just kick back and relax have none of those things. Recently I had the opportunity to go to a local farmer's market and swap meet with some friends. We shopped around, checked out all the historical finds, the pyrex dishes and anything rusty. We snacked on cajun hot boiled peanuts and kettle corn and washed it down with cold lemonade. We purchased strawberries to make homemade strawberry jam, and while hanging out together, we did our hair on the front porch of the dome home. It was then that I realized, I belong here. I belong where the front porch is nearly the same size as the house, conversation is a little slower while enjoyed over a glass of sweet iced tea and dirt roads outnumber paved ones. I belong where the live music has a little bit of a twang and people take time to enjoy the simple things. So while I enjoy my mac computer and lattes, I feel most myself in the country.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I hear ya. You know, I think there's a part in all of us that longs for the slower pace of life. But in a real sense, that's what makes it vacation, you know?

I just got back from the "city" and longed for it in much the same way. Probably because it's different from the routine of daily grind.

The Bock 10 (Yes, ten) said...

I'm with you, Cindy. I saw that we buy a massive piece of land, split it up, and build our dream homes! You bring me some jam and I'll bring you some casserole!

Anonymous said...

I know where you are coming from. We are visiting in Tennessee. At church last Sunday I was listening to the 400 people sing a hymn. The whole church had a twangy tint to the singing. I enjoyed the singing. The special song as "Sweet hour of prayer" I have not heard that for a while.

Martin an I went fishing and caught supper. Fish and grits.

Many of the roads are dirt, including ours. Yesterday two neightbors came by. One to visit and one to plow our folks garden, and stop to talk. Also yesterday an old hound dog came by. He was a frindly dog, like the Beverly Hillbilly dog. Sit on the back porch and thump his tail everytime we walked by. At the end of the day we call the name on his collar and a man came and got him. Martin said the dog looked like he hated to go.

It's hard to lave when your visiting.

B

Danielle said...

It's a strange phenomena, isn't it? I always defined myself more in an urban way - but I'm realizing that the things and pace I really enjoy are in the country. I little slower and a lot more laid back.

Anonymous said...

I am there with you, as someone living very rural/country myself. The more i live in the country on a daily basis the more i love it. I go to a grocery store that does not have scanners, they must do it the old-fashioned way. No matter what store i go to the amish are there, i also enjoy that very much. Driving down the street and seeing the horse and buggies everywhere. I always refer to life here as living in Mayberry with Andy, Opie and aunt Bee. Sitting on the porch cleaning green beans, reading a good book or planning what i want to plant in the backyard garden, while i wait for the fresh baked pie to cool on the window sill.
It is slow, relaxed and laid back, and more and
more it is the way i prefer to live my life.

Anonymous said...

This is great, Cindy!! Porches---ahhhhhh!! Homemade strawberry jam---ahhhhh!! Having just arrived back home from the country, I must say being home is wonderful, and I enjoy my 'home' walk very much, but today I missed the manure in the road, the cows in their pastures, the gorgeous hilly scenery, the streams running everywhere, etc. Also, I was shocked to discover that on my 'home' walk, the eagle tree has been cut down, and I no longer live in the neighborhood of two eagles, unless they find somewhere else to perch.
Anyway, I'm glad you feel most yourself in the country, and I'm also glad you have opportunities to fill the need for country!!! Enjoy! aunt c