Friday, January 30, 2009

Could you repeat the question?



The following are sentences from my textbook. I have no idea what they mean, which I think might be a bad sign for academic success.

"A frame is a receptacle for information about an entity or event. It contains slots to hold the attributes of the entity. As the text is parsed or the cues read, the slots are gradually filled in."

"This chapter looks at document and information resource representations and surrogates; that is a metadata that identifies and characterizes, and often serves as a key for retrieving the actual documents."

"The proliferation of metadata standards developed by different but often overlapping communities of interest is undermining the opportunities for exchange of metadata."

"Parity checking is based on the possibility that one of the bits in a character may get transformed, but it is unlikely that two bits in the same character will get changed."

Good to know.
______________________________________________________________________

Resources:
Picture taken from Dr. Randy Ralph's tutorial on Boolean Logic
Organizing Knowledge by Jennifer Rowley and Richard Hartley
Online Retrieval: A Dialogue of Theory and Practice by Geraldene Walker and Joseph Janes

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow.....I actually do know (enough) what those sentences mean! (the great tragedy of working in a tech office). Woe to the death of my liberal arts education.

Danielle said...

This sounds like some sort of puzzle. . a puzzle which I don't want to stick around to solve. No, I think I'd opt for some more leisurely reading if I were you ;)

~Praying Through Life~ said...

Disregard button on!

Anonymous said...

I don't know either, which doesn't matter much since I don't have to, but you certainly have me chuckling!!! I am also vastly relieved that it is unlikely that two bits in the same character will get changed. Perhaps there is hope for mankind after all!!!!!
Hang in there, Cindy-girl! aunt c