Tuesday, June 2, 2009

I'd rather be...

I'd rather be the type of girl who drinks soy chai lattes and wears a daisy chain of flowers in her hair, but alas I'm the girl that drinks coffee first thing in the morning and only brushes her hair because she feels it's necessary for societal acceptance.

I'd rather be the type of girl who delights in the great novels of the past such as Shakespeare and Milton like they were as necessary as air, but alas I'm the girl who enjoys the ridiculously lame celebrity gossip magazines so I can find out what they're saying about "John and Kate plus Eight".

I'd rather by the type of girl who is so confident that the future never worries her, but alas I'm the girl who wonders what will happen to our economy, will I marry, what job will I have five years from now, and how long will I live.

I'd rather be the type of girl who is carefree, nonchallant, easy going and relaxed, but alas I'm the girl who frets over bills being paid, do my cats have enough food, did I leave the coffee pot on, is the house going to burn down on my watch and will I have enough money to pay my student loans when I'm done with school.

I'd rather be the type of girl who tries some exotic new recipe every evening because I'm a domestic goddess and everything I touch turns to success, but alas I'm the girl who likes beans and rice because I know I can't mess it up.

I'd rather be the type of girl who is adventurous, young at heart, spontaneous and in a moment's notice could be on a plane to some unknown destination, but alas I'm an old soul, the type of girl who enjoys quiet conversation over coffee and the comfort of routine.

I'd rather be the type of girl who really wants voluntary simplicity, living off the grid and compost toilets, but alas I'm the girl who thrives on electricity, modern conveniences and consumerism.

I'd rather be the type of girl who is sunshine and sweetness at every turn, finding the positive in life's greatest struggles and dishes out handfuls of joy to everyone she meets, but alas I'm the girl who enjoys sarcasm and sees humor in a slightly cynical view of the world.

I'd rather be.....but alas I'm just me :)

2 comments:

Danielle said...

OK - you're a girl who can make crazy good rhymes unintentionally: "I'd rather be. . . but alas I'm just me". Ya. 'Nough said. I can think of tons of things that look appealing from the outside, but if they're not in my nature - they'll be a pain in the neck and a terrible match for me. I like your blog and I think you have a LOT to offer (there is, after all, more to life than brushed hair, Shakespeare, and compost toilets ;)

Anonymous said...

I'd say all of us have an 'I'd rather be list', but I for one would miss the girl you actually are. The person I'd rather be would be a truly wonderful person, with accomplishments galore and stories to tell of far-away places, but the person I am can barely stand to be in a motel with all those other people's germs, so far-flung travels give me the shivers. The real person I'd rather be would be the person whose life has counted every moment for God. That is a sad one to have missed!!!
Keep being you, Cindy, always striving to be the very best you you can be, and those of us who know and love you will be delighted!!! I enjoy your musings!!! aunt c