Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Where I'd rather be...

A friend of mine posted about where she wishes she could be this morning instead of enjoying the routine of daily life. It got me thinking. Where would I rather be? What surprised me, as I clicked through memories and the places I feel most at home, is that rarely do I picture myself with people. Now I do tend to joke, perhaps too much, about disliking people and being anti-social. The truth is; I love people. I love sharing in laughter and swaping stories. It doesn't matter if the people are in my inner circle or just random folks who stop by my desk at work to ask a question. I thoroughly enjoy the art of conversation; it makes me happy.

Which has me wondering why it is that when I picture the times and places which make me the happiest, I'm alone. Whether waking up to a quiet house on saturday morning to enjoy a great cup of coffee, taking a walk when surrounded God's beautiful creation or sitting on a back porch listening to the calming sounds of a river, it is these quiet times alone that stir my heart and give me peace. So I guess for the question of where I'd rather be, anywhere I can be alone. Although now that I think about it, I believe that is the definition of anti-social. Huh.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's probably because, like me, you get your energy and recharged from being alone. So it's natural to crave it!

Anonymous said...

Alone-time is delightful time, for sure, but think how horrible it would be if alone-time is all you ever had. Give me a nice mixture of people and solitude!!! Both are wonderful! aunt c