Friday, January 29, 2010

Returning to Independence

I read an article today about how Bin Laden urged his followers not to do business with American companies and to let the dollar fall into insignificance. He said that by boycotting American products it would also lessen our ability to fund the war on terror. Financially speaking, he is right in that respect. If countries no longer accepted our aid, purchased our goods or sought to do business with Americans, our economy would drastically falter. But it got me thinking of this on a grander scale. What would happen if countries stopped purchasing American products. What are legitimate American products these days anyway? Would this change us?

It would. We would no longer be able to borrow money. If we can't borrow money then we couldn't purchase imported items, and we wouldn't be able to fund our military as it has been. I think it would dramatically change the image of what America is today, but the America I love would return to take the place of this America that is seen today. Oh we'd probably look a little rough, but we would be forced to grow a spirit of independence once again. We would not rely on other countries for our finances or our consumer products. I would consider this true liberation!

I don't want to be giving aid to countries that despise our economy, our capitalistic ideals or our religious freedom. I don't want to be driving a car that comes from a country that mocks us. And I certainly don't want to be buying plastic uselessness from a country that mass produces it, even if it only costs me 25 cents. I'm not sure there is an actual solution to this calculated house of cards we've created where countries are dependent on each other and enemies are doing business with each other. If nothing else,though, I plan on boycotting them long before they boycott me.

7 comments:

Ravi said...

Beware Cindy, We become like the ones whom we hate / like ... in both cases mind closely follows the action and consequences...
It is a proven result that mind re aligns itself towards what we give importance to.
Everyone has the tendencies of brilliance AND suicide.... it's about where we choose to focus upon.
Dedicating a blog post for some Idea of Bin laden can prove to be a crutch to your originality.

I am writing this because I watched a movie called " American history X" yesterday night.... and this sentence struck me deeply.... " Life is too short to be pissed of all the time"...

Anonymous said...

Ravi,it is interesting that you comment about about being angry and not focusing on such an emotion. However, the movie you speak of is riddled with rage and emotion.
There is no harm in vocalizing frustattions or in standing firm in what you believe. Otherwise, one would go through life existing without any opinions, convictions, or input to society. What a waste of brilliance and potential.

Anonymous said...

*frustrations

Ravi said...

yes Anonymous...!! :) I appreciate the fact that everyone is entitled to their own opinions and belief...

The true grandeur of human being shines forth in one aspect.... somewhere I read this but I do not remember the exact words...." the more wicked they are, the more they should be forgiven"...
If we react to something or someone then inevitably we become like them....

Its a very delicate balance to be firm in our understanding and yet be sensitive to all the terrible things like terrorism...

Its our world , if we boycott them or they boycott us , somehow it affects both.

There is injustice in the world and good people are suffering more than the crooked ones... but what I meant was we need to learn how to walk through this life not being wounded inside. People have deep emotional wounds, infact the terror groups recruit young people who are healthy and vulnerable , they are also victim of some evil forces...!! so no boycotting or no supporting those forces.. instead focus is on maturing to embrace the whole thing without being wounded.

May be cindy is like a bird .... In yet another movie Shawshank redemption there is a beautiful quote " some birds are not meant to be caged" ...

enjoi your independence Cindy ...

Anonymous said...

I believe that if you were to react to these evils by boycott or otherwise then it is an action that will provide a consequence to the ones doing harm, not yourself.
For them to proceed without consequence would allow for more harm to be done (to good people, in fact).
Walking through life with assurance and convictions about things should not have oneself feeling wounded or hurt. It should assert confidence and character, something people need to make it in our world.
True, this world isn't just. It isn't because it isn't perfect, and it is fallen. We may never see true justice unfolded in our lifetime, but it will come to all in the end. My God is a loving God, but make no mistake that he is just. His words are clear, and that is why I believe that there is no problem with having concrete opposing views in this world.
Thank you, Ravi, for your thoughts. I believe that I understand where you are coming from. I may not agree with everything that you are saying, but I respect your opinion.

Cindy Lynn said...

Well I'm flattered that my blog has gotten such thoughtful and well written responses!

Ravi, I always enjoy knowing that you read my blog and offer your thoughts :) I do think that consciously or subconsciously, we are supporting or boycotting issues, people and situations. It might be best to go through life without letting it effect or wound me, but I could never do that. I believe it to be my duty, while probably insignificant, to take a stand against evil and those things that go against justice and truth. I'm not sure that reacting makes us become like them... but I believe our difference of opinion to be the beauty of our friendship :)

Anonymous, I have thought it through and still am not sure who you are :)

Ann Parri said...

For what it's worth. I think the answer could be focusing so much more locally, getting to know the neighbors, being part of a community. And, when it comes to buying, I'll tell you, Cin, I'm no longer mezmerized (sp?) by the Walmart bargains. Especially when it comes to grocery buying, but even in general. I think I've decided that the French policy is much better than the American one (as portrayed in the book French Women don't get Fat). I like few good quality things, rather than masses of junk. I think I've decided this.